Soccer star Mohamed Salah spotted texting while driving, police investigating

Police in England are investigating a viral video that shows Egyptian soccer star Mohamed Salah texting while driving.

The clip was shot by fans as the Liverpool F.C. striker was heading home on Sunday after scoring the first goal in his from his team’s 4-0 victory over West Ham United.

In it, Salah can be seen using a smartphone with both hands as his Mercedes-Benz is stuck in traffic and crowded by fans clamoring for attention and asking for photos, before the road clears and he pulls away.

Upon learning of the video’s existence, the team informed the local authorities who said via Twitter on Monday that it had "been passed on to the relevant department."

Liverpool management also confirmed that it had spoken to Salah and that it was dealing with the situation internally, but that neither it nor the player will comment further at this time, Metro reported.

Texting while driving carries a maximum fine of £1,000 and can result in a suspended license in England, according to The Sun.

The 26-year-old Salah rose to superstardom last season when he led the English Premier League with a record-breaking 32 goals and took his team to the Champion’s League Final, where he was injured during a 3-1 defeat to Real Madrid.

2019 Ford Ranger priced at $25,395, order books opened

Ford has released pricing and opened the order books for the 2019 Ford Ranger, with deliveries set to kick off early next year.

ranger

The base 2019 Ranger starts at $25,395.(Ford)

The revived midsize model is returning to the brand’s American lineup for the first time since 2011 at a base price of $25,395.

The Ranger is launching in trim levels – XL, XLT and Lariat – and will be offered as a SuperCab with a six-foot bed and a SuperCrew with a five-foot bed. All models come with a 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine, 10-speed automatic transmission and either a 4×2 or 4×4 drivetrain.

ranger

The FX4 package adds off-road equipment to any 4×4 Ranger.(Ford)

For the inevitable comparison, an F-150 SuperCab 4×2 starts at $33,285, but a single cab truck can be had for as little as $29,200.

A top-of-the-line Lariat 4×4 SuperCrew starts at $39,480 and can be loaded up to over $43,000 with functional options that include adaptive cruise control and an FX4 package that’s equipped with an electronic locking rear differential, skid plates and off-road traction management systems.

Power, payload and towing specifications for the 2019 Ranger have not yet been released.

REPORT: FORD IS WORKING ON A TEENY TINY PICKUP TRUCK

F1 great Fernando Alonso announces retirement from series

Two-time Formula One champion Fernando Alonso will retire from the series at the end of this season, he announced Tuesday.

The 37-yearl-old Spaniard won the driver’s championship in 2005 and 2006 with Renault and has 37 race wins to his name, the last coming at the 2013 Spanish Grand Prix.

He’s been stuck in a series of uncompetitive cars since then and hasn’t been much of a factor on the track, but remains a fan favorite thanks in part to his aggressive driving style and frank personality.

"Let’s see what the future brings," Alonso said in a statement, "new exciting challenges are around the corner. I’m having one of the happiest times ever in my life but I need to go on exploring new adventures."

Alonso didn’t say what those adventures are, but he’s been spreading his racing wings in recent years. He won the 24 Hours of Le Mans with Toyota this May and led 27 laps in last year’s Indy 500 before his car broke down while he was contending for the win with just 20 laps to go.

Speculation has it that Alonso will be joining Indycar full time in 2019. His current team, McLaren, is rumored to be launching an Indycar effort next season and his services are sure to be courted by other top tier teams in the series.

Suspected drunk driver wrecks 5-seat car with 10 occupants in it

A man has been arrested on suspicion of drunk driving after he crashed a five seat car with 10 occupants, including seven children.

The accident happened in Kingstanding, U.K., on Friday night when the 38-year-old drove the Citroen Picasso into two parked cars, totaling the vehicle.

According to Birmingham Live, three passengers were taken to the hospital, but none suffered serious injuries.

wreck

(@Erdingtonfire)

An eyewitness told the news outlet that a three-year-old was wedged between the seats.

A parent of one of the children posted to the fire department’s Facebook page that her child was also an unwilling occupant.

"My son was one of them in the car,” she wrote. “He didn’t want to get in. But was encouraged to get in. Bear in mind they are still just children. My son is only 13.

"He took my son in this car,” another posted. “Words can not describe how I feel at this moment I’m just so thankful he’s alive – so f***** angry."

Authorities have not yet disclosed all of the circumstances that led to the incident.

Ex-NASCAR driver Greg Biffle ordered to pay ex-wife $1 for personal recordings, jury decides

Former NASCAR driver Greg Biffle must reportedly pay his ex-wife $1 after a jury on Monday found that he did “intrude offensively upon” her “privacy” by secretly recording her.

The decision came in response to a lawsuit filed by the athlete’s ex-wife, Nicole, and her mother, WSOC-TV reported.

TONY STEWART MAY ENTER 2019 INDY 500, BUT NOT AS A ‘SIDESHOW’ LIKE DANICA PATRICK

The pair alleged that, unbeknownst to them, Biffle had recorded them with cameras wired in the master bedroom, bathroom, and a guest room, of the couple’s North Carolina home, the Charlotte Observer reported. They also reportedly claimed that he “has shown images captured by the hidden cameras to third persons.”

During the trial, the former professional driver denied any wrongdoing, insisting that his ex-wife was aware of the recording equipment, WSOC-TV reported.

NASCAR CEO TAKES LEAVE OF ABSENSE AFTER ARREST, DWI CHARGE

“What the jury said sends a loud message that they don’t believe there was wrongdoing,” Biffle said.

However, a lawyer representing Biffle’s ex-wife told the Observer that the jury found his behavior “to be an unlawful invasion of privacy.”

The lawsuit “has never been about money for Ms. Biffle,” the lawyer said. “It’s been about holding Mr. Biffle accountable for the complete violation of her dignity and the right to privacy that should be afforded all persons. And for that she’s proud of the verdict against him.”

California woman allegedly steals ambulance, leads police on high-speed chase

A woman is behind bars after she allegedly stole an ambulance and led police on a high-speed chase around Stockton, Calif., on Monday evening.

After St. Joseph’s Hospital reported the vehicle stolen, Stockton police spotted it about three miles away and tried to pull it over, but the driver fled.

Officials said Natasha Scott, 34, then drove to I-5 and headed north out of town at speeds in excess of 90 mph.

After travelling about 10 miles, Scott made a U-turn onto the southbound side of the highway, where police intercepted the vehicle and used a spike strip to blow out its tires. She then pulled onto the median and was arrested without incident.

Police have not suggested a possible motive for the theft.

The French Camp, Calif., resident is facing seven charges stemming from the incident, including possession of a stolen vehicle and driving on a suspended license, and also has outstanding warrants for battery and possession of a controlled substance. She is being held in San Juaquin County Jail with bail set at $150,750 ahead of a court hearing on Wednesday afternoon.

North Carolina contractor stumbles upon hidden hoard of pre-war cars

When he was hired to demolish an old building and clear out a property in North Carolina, contractor David Mount surely didn’t know he’d stumble across a treasure trove of 1930s cars. Mount’s daughter, not quite driving age herself, spotted the first car, which was stored inside in a basement garage before the ceiling gave way. The only thing visible was a bit of grille and a pair of headlights under a pile of debris. It was unearthed to reveal that it was a remarkably intact 1933 Plymouth roadster, complete with its signature suicide doors.

Mount turned to the Facebook group “1920s antique automobile, brass era cars, orphan makes” for help in identifying his more peculiar and customized finds.

mount

(David Mount)

As the father and daughter explored the property, a total of 10 cars and trucks turned up, including a mystery roadster built on a ‘30s Ford chassis powered by a Flathead V-8. It had become one with a tangle of brush and appeared to have been cobbled together using a grille cowl and hood sides from multiple vehicles. Not far away was a 1939 Chevy Master Deluxe sedan. According to Mount, some cars are too far gone while others are worth salvaging.

MORE CLASSIC CAR NEWS FROM HAGERTY

Thanks to the power of social media, at least one person has stepped up offering some history on the custom, Flathead-powered speedster.

The new property owner didn’t have any interest in the vehicles and just wanted the property cleared for fresh construction, so Mount has claimed them, moving a few out of the elements and into his garage. So far there aren’t any plan to sell any of the cars, but you can bet he’s been asked. Mount’s daughter has her eyes on the Plymouth roadster, and there’s been some bench racing on how the speedster might look in new race livery. And if you’re interested, his listing on the Facebook page indicates he’s giving it away for free to any takers.

THIS STORY ORIGINALLY APPEARED ON HAGERTY.COM

Danny Thompson, 69, sets land speed record in dad’s 50-year-old car

It was a moment his family had been chasing for a half-century.

Racer Danny Thompson set a land speed record for piston-powered, wheel-driven cars at the Bonneville Salt Flats on Sunday in a vehicle that his father Mickey first brought to Utah in 1968.

The elder Thompson didn’t get a chance to drive the streamliner, named Challenger 2, that year due to bad weather, and he never got around to trying again before he and his wife were murdered in 1988 by gunmen hired by a former business associate. At the time, he was restoring the car for Danny to drive.

Instead, it was put away until a few years ago, when Danny pulled it out, updated it and began racing it again.

Equipped with twin nitro-burning Hemi V8s with total of 5,000 hp, the all-wheel-drive car is more than twice as powerful as it was when Mickey first built it.

On Saturday, Danny was competing in the Southern California Timing Association Speed Week event when he made a pass at 446.605 mph. He followed up on Sunday morning by going in the opposite direction at 450.909 mph, for an average of 448.757 mph.

That easily broke the record of 439.562 set in 2012, but it wasn’t easy. Danny had to steer out of a dangerous slide that occurred at 430 mph.

It was a clutch move on what will be Challenger 2’s last run. After the event, Danny told Fox News the car’s work is finally done.

"It’s the car’s 50th anniversary, and the whole crew pulled together to get the record, so I feel like I’ve finally put the streamliner’s unfinished business to rest."

Workhorse planning to beat Tesla to market with all-electric pickup

Workhorse is thinking about taking on Tesla with an electric pickup.

The Ohio-based commercial truck company is introducing a plug-in hybrid pickup next year, and now company CEO Steve Burns tells Fox News that battery technology has developed to the point that a fully-electric model is commercial feasible.

workhorse

Workhorse already has 5,000 orders for the plug-in hybrid W-15.(Workhorse)

Burns says the all-electric model would have a range of around 200 miles per charge and that he’s aiming to offer it at the same $52,000 starting price as the plug-in hybrid. The hybrid combines a 60 kilowatt-hour battery pack good for 80 miles of electric range with a BMW three-cylinder engine that works as a generator for extended trips.

Burns says the hybrid is better suited for towing, but that the electric model would meet a variety of commercial and retail applications and could be in production at the company’s Indiana factory within two years.

tesla

Tesla hasn’t revealed what its pickup will look like, but has revealed a humorous image of one large enough to carry a Ford F-150 in its bed.(Tesla)

Tesla hasn’t said when it plans to start selling its pickup, or how much it will cost, but CEO Elon Musk tweeted in June that it will have all-wheel-drive, a load-levelling suspension and a range up to 500 miles.

John Lennon’s last car was a Mercedes-Benz 300 TD Wagon, and you can buy it

John Lennon’s last car was a first.

By late 1978, the singer had settled into a relatively low-profile, post-Beatlemania life with his family in New York City and was riding around in a green 1972 Chrysler Town and Country station wagon that had seen better days.

According to the History Channel’s “Lost and Found” show, Lennon’s chauffer suggested that it was time to buy a new car and Lennon and Yoko decided on a diesel Mercedes-Benz 300 TD Wagon. The problem was that it hadn’t yet been released in the United States.

That never stopped a rock star, of course, even one spending a lot of time as a peace activist. So Lennon had his assistant send Mercedes-Benz a check for $30,000, which is the equivalent of $90,000 today, and the automaker fast-tracked one across the Atlantic for him.

Lennon’s would be the first of the cars delivered, and the last he ever purchased. It was reportedly parked in the garage of his apartment building when he was shot by Mark David Chapman on December 8, 1980.

The car stayed in the family until it was sold in 1986 and has changed hands several times since. It may soon again as it is scheduled to cross the block at the Worldwide Auctioneers event in Auburn, Ind., on September 1, where it is being offered without reserve or a pre-sale estimate.

A normal 300 TD Wagon like it might be worth as much as $25,000, but with two claims to fame this one could be a double fantasy car for a Benz and Beatles fan.